15.on the dot 准时;正点
——Did you and Amanda really meet exactly five minutes to two infront of the theatre? (你和Amanda确实在差5分两点的时候到达剧院门口了吗?)
——Yes, we were both there on the dot. (是的,我俩都准点到达。)
16.once and for all 最后一次;干脆
——I am going to tell that neighbor of mine to turn down that musiconce and for all。(我要最后一次告诉我那个邻居把音乐声关小。)
——I see why you are angry. But I’ve always found that the politeroute is the most effective. (我明白你为什么恼火。但我总觉得礼貌的方式是最有效的。)
17.out of earshot 不在听力所及范围
——Hey? John! John! (嗨! John! John! )
——Save your breath. He’s out of earshot. (省口气吧,他听不见。)
18.out of this world 非常好
——Have you tried Susan’s apple pie? (你试过Susan的苹果派吗?)
——I got the last piece. And it was out of this world。(我拿到最后一块。好吃极了。)
19.play by ear 随机应变,视情形而定
——Marty, are you doing anything special for your presentation inpolitical science tomorrow? (Marty,你在为明天的政治学演讲准备与众不同的材料吗?)
——Not really, because the class so often turns into a discussion,I’ve decided to play it by ear. (不。那门课常常最后变成讨论。我决定视情形而定。)
20. ring a bell 令人想起某件事;听起来耳熟