a domino effect
骨牌效应
Those workers make good money. Why are they on strike?
(这些工人的收入不错。他们为什么要罢工呢?)
It's a domino effect. Other lower-paid workers just got their wages raised, so now everybody wants more money.
(这是骨牌效应。其它工资较低的工人刚获得加薪,所以现在每个人都想要更多钱。)
another story
另一回事
I like to stay up late. It's the best time for me to write.
(我喜欢熬夜。那是我写作最好的时间。)
But it's quite another story for those of us who have to be at work by 8 a.m.
(但那对我们这些得在八点前上班的人来说就完全是另外一回事了。)
at ease
轻松自若
Were you nervous the first time you taught in front of the whole class?
(你第一次站在全班面前讲课会紧张吗?)
Not really. My students were so cute that they made me feel completely at ease.
(其实还好。我的学生很可爱,他们让我觉得非常轻松自在。)
at the eleventh hour
在最后一刻
Thank God, you're here. I thought you might not be able to make it.
(感谢上帝,你终于来了。我还以为你到不了了。)
I looked everywhere to find my passport. Then I found it at the eleventh hour.
(我到处找我的护照。终于在最后一刻找到了。)
at the end of one's rope
失去耐性
I'm at the end of my rope with you. Are you coming with me or not?
(我对你失去耐性了。你到底要不要跟我一起去?)
Give me ten more minutes. I want to know how the show ends.
(再给我十分钟。我想知道这个节目的结局如何。)
为了满足广大英语爱好者英语充电的需求,资格考试网特推出成人英语三级系列网络辅导课程,由多位经验丰富的名师打造,教学风格自然,讲解透彻!
网络课程随报随学,自由制定学习进度,欢迎进入试听 〉〉